Vickie Adkins seeks re-election to county school board
It has been my great honor to serve as your representative on the Wilson County Board of Education for the past four years. As I reflect upon my service, I recognize the privilege you have bestowed upon me to witness many wonderful accomplishments including:
• Our county receiving district wide accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Wilson County schools meet or exceed international standards.
• Mount Juliet High School being given the SCORE award as the top academic high school in the state.
• Successfully meeting the challenge of the raised state standards at all schools and staying in good standing with the State Board of Education.
• Raising salaries for teachers and staff.
• Added instructional assistants for reading and math to the staff of every school in the county.
• Expanded the on-line curriculums to all high schools in Wilson County.
• Launching of the new Lebanon High School to open 2012-2013
• Working with the county commissioners to fund the new Watertown High School, and additions to West Elementary, West Wilson Middle School and Rutland Elementary.
• The addition of tennis courts to Wilson Central and Mount Juliet High School.
• Continuing to upgrade our current facilities with secure entrances.
These are a few of the county wide achievements since my election to the board.
The board has also been an effective steward of taxpayer dollars, while keeping expenditures in line with limited revenues. We face challenges in the years ahead. Fiscal challenges and the new State imposed core-curriculum standards, as well as keeping facilities on par with the enormous growth in our county.
As the only mother on the Wilson County Board of Education with two children in Mount Juliet Schools, I have observed first hand the dedication of the teachers and administration to making sure that our children are being educated and nurtured to the best of their abilities. What I hope in mentioning these things is that you understand I do not take the position of school board representative lightly or for granted. The future of our children’s education in Wilson County lies in the parents, the school board, and the community’s hands. While our schools are good, we need continuous improvement in order for our schools to be competitive with the rest of the state and nation. I strongly believe that our children deserve a great education with teachers, parents, and the community working together to achieve this goal. The schools belong to all these constituencies and school board members need to listen to their ideas and opinions and act accordingly.
If you allow me to continue to serve as your school board representative, I promise to be available to work with the community to promote the vision of the community. I will work with all the school board members for the benefit of the entire school system, while being the eyes and ears of the schools in our district.
For more information you may visit my website at www.vikkiadkins.com