Staff Reports

Fire destroyed the clubhouse at the Windtree Golf Course Saturday morning on Nonaville Road in Mt. Juliet.

The clubhouse was closed Nov. 27, 2017 to the public. The property was set to be the site of a proposed new housing development.

Mt. Juliet dispatchers and Wilson County 911 call takers received calls about smoke off Nonaville Road at Windtree Golf Course. Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corp. officials also received an automated notification the electric service meter for the clubhouse at the former golf course had stopped.

Police officers and firefighters were dispatched to the location, and smoke could be seen from miles away. Mt. Juliet fire Assistant Chief Shawn Donovan told dispatchers to implement a working fire protocol, which gave notifications to the Wilson Emergency Management Agency to dispatch an ambulance and Rehab-23 to the scene, as well as provide mutual-aid fire coverage for the city, and Middle Tennessee Electric and Piedmont Gas Co. to send emergency response units to secure utilities, as well as some other dispatch procedures.

A Mt. Juliet police officer and Donovan were the first to arrive. Both reported the golf course’s clubhouse was fully involved with fire and had collapsed.

Mt. Juliet Squad-103, under the command of acting Lt. Andy Hassler, was first fire unit to arrive. The nearest hydrant to the structure was in the parking lot but apparently inoperable. The next nearest hydrant was across the street from the entrance to the golf course at the end of a long driveway.

Engine-104, Ladder-111, Tower-114, Chief-101 and Chief-102 arrived at the scene. Firefighters were about to set up flow master streams with the ladder and tower trucks, but due to the lack of a viable water supply, the plan was put on hold.

Mt. Juliet firefighters requested a WEMA tanker to assist in water supply efforts. Tanker-91 arrived and made multiple water shuttles that brought in 1,500 gallons at a time to the clubhouse.

Engine-104 was able to supply Ladder-111 with its onboard tank and then the shuttled water, which allowed for the ladder pipe to be used to hit most of the hot spots and knock down the main body of fire.

Rehab-23 volunteers arrived and provided on-scene support and shelter from the cold.

Firefighters left the clubhouse at about 11:15 a.m. and left the fire to smolder and eventually burn itself out.

The cause of the fire remained unknown and under investigation. There were no injuries reported as a result of the fire.